Plog #2 – Freixenet Mexico

I’ve always wanted to visit a winery. During my stay in Queretaro, I visited Freixenet de Mexico. This vineyard has over 25 years producing in Mexico. Freixenet has its origins in southwestern Spain in a population called Sant d ‘Anoia.
I forgot my camera and had to use my iphone camera. The light did not help but even so these pictures give you an idea of ​​how it was.

My visit was on a Sunday and I was not the only one with the idea of ​​visiting the vineyard. There were many people waiting for the tours and to buy bottles of the famous sparkling wines. I found out that this was a long weekend in Mexico for some festive day. That explains the crowd.

IMG_4711

In 1982 the planting of the vineyards began and by 1984 they had their  first bottling of sparkling wines, using grapes from the area, but not yet own. In 1988 they had it 100% covered with their own harvest.

IMG_4713

IMG_4714

IMG_4715

IMG_4716

Nowadays vineyards of this winery provide 30% of grapes for production. The remaining 70% comes from other Mexican cities such as Aguascalientes and Chihuaha.

IMG_4718

IMG_4719

IMG_4724

IMG_4727

IMG_4729

IMG_4730

Since 1978 bottles are kept in this room, these bottles are then being tested for quality and taste after many years. This helps to a better understanding of the taste evolution of wines over the years.

IMG_4731

IMG_4741

IMG_4752

They spin the bottle 1/8 at a time 4 times a day. It starts at 0º.
When the bottle reaches 90 degrees, they can freeze the opening so that the dirt is easy to pull out. Thereafter, the bottles are sealed with the cork.
Dirt is taken out for a better quality of sparkling wine.

IMG_4755

IMG_4756

At the end of the tour we all sat and drank a glass of Cava…

IMG_4757

Until the next time… Cheers!

Leave a Reply